This week was much better to me. I have had some time to get used to my new group and learn about each of my new students. I also finally received the book series we will be using in our second grade group...I sense more consistency coming!
This week, I had the opportunity to observe a 3rd grade class during math along with the small groups that I teach. Now I know that all students do not learn the exact same way, but this week was a real eye opener for me in that aspect of teaching. The class I observed started using a new program called "Versa Tiles" for math practice. The teacher gave instruction on the concept first and then how to use the system. As I watched the students use this system throughout the week, the students who are typically hyperactive were able to really focus and work with the new materials. The average students had little problems with it, the only problem being that they needed to do it for themselves to really understand it. There was one little boy who just could not remember to match his number tile to the answer letter instead of the numbers in the answer.
Now you would have to see the system to really understand how it works, but it is basically a visual/kinesthetic based system where students have something to hold on to and work with while they use mental math for answers. It was amazing to me that everyone else seemed to have little trouble with the system after practice and this one little boy just could not think conceptually enough to work with the system successfully. The teacher was of course forced to work other things into the independent practice part of each math lesson so she could meet the needs of all of the learners.
This helped me to see the importance of being reactive and flexible with teaching. If something is not working for everyone, be flexible enough to change what you are doing so that every student can thrive and build on their own strengths. I can use this information in my own planning. I can do my best to be reactive and catch it when my students are not following to the point of checking out of the lesson. I need to be able to help all of my students succeed and that means learning thier strengths and weaknesses.
I'd like to know more about the importance of mental math and helping students who have a hard time working conceptually. Do we just work more with manipulatives with those students? or Do we take steps to help them to become comfortable with working conceptually.
If I were teaching this class I would probably have worked with the student personally or had another students who understood the system well work with the student until he felt confident enough to do it on his own. Sometimes peers are the best thing for a struggling student because they can explain things in a different way as well as motivate each other to work towards better learning. I would also make sure that I still use the "Versa Tiles" for the students who did really well with them, so I would probably incorporate learning centers where students can go and practice the required skills with the materials that help them learn the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment