Blog Archive

February 24, 2010

Writing...Oh, How I miss teaching about you!

One thing I learned this week, after visiting my supervising teacher (Mrs. A) from my senior internship (2008), is that I really LOVE the way she taught me how to teach writing. Whats sad is, I don't get to teach writing at my current job as a teacher. Only teaching reading and math has its perks, but I LOVE teaching writing! Mrs. A showed me so many wonderful ways to give students tools and the experiences to help students to write with colorful, exciting words. She uses pictures, playdough, cookies, walks outside, any experience she can think of, and gets the kids to write about it.

The writing lesson I saw Mrs. A teach was a lesson in which the students were given a set of pictures that could be used to tell a story (in this case the pictures were from Alaska and about a man panning for gold). Mrs. A put the pictures in a PowerPoint presentation and described what the students were going to do. She had them give examples of colorful or sparkling words they could use in their stories. She let the students work on their stories and then the kids shared. The stories the kids wrote were amazing!

Going back to visit Mrs. A this week has made me miss teaching writing. I cannot wait until I have the opportunity to help kids write amazing stories like the ones her students write. I plan on going back to visit as often as possible. Not only will I get to visit a great mentor and friend, but I know I will get LOADS of ideas! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment